Chipotle, Chocolate & Steak Chili
Perfect for that big game, a cool evening or neighborhood gathering! This hearty chili combines fresh vegetables, steak, beans, dark chocolate and just the right amount of spices to create a tasty, well-balanced chili your guests will rave about for months to come.
- 2 lbs tri tip steak OR beef stew meat, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ cup flour (make it gluten free: use brown rice flour)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or smashed
- 4 cups of beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon tabasco sauce
- ¼ cup dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your preferences)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- ½ bar Honduras Chocolate Company 80% cacao chocolate, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Finely chopped Honduras Chocolate Company 80% cacao chocolate
- Sour Cream
Mix flour, salt and black pepper together in a shallow baking dish or gallon zip lock bag. Add meat and coat; remove excess flour and set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet and when hot, add meat. Brown meat then add onion plus any remaining flour.
When onion is soft, add red pepper, garlic, beef stock, tabasco and spices: chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and cayenne pepper.
Combine thoroughly then add in tomatoes, beans and chipotle peppers. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat and allow chili to cook 2-3 hours.
Add in cilantro and chocolate and serve. Add toppings as desired. Serves 10-12.